We are still very new in our first season, but I think this is a topic that will catch everyone’s attention. Everyone perks up just a little when they hear something related to legal matters, right? I think it’s one of those things that so many are curious about and wonder if they’re doing it right, but are too afraid to ask anyone. Or think is too outside of their budget to do right. On this episode, attorney Paige Hulse walks us through our contracts and highlights some of the important things that she sees too many venue owners leaving out of theirs! Now you’re curious about what those are right? Well let’s get to it!
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- How Paige got into contract law [4:28]
- All the purposes that contracts serve [7:26]
- At what point you need to start using contracts [13:34]
- What an indemnity clause should to include [16:31]
- Why using a contract from someone else (or Google) is a bad idea [18:48]
- Why you need to use an attorney licensed in your state [24:40]
- Does the length of a contract matter? [26:50]
- How a contract can shape your brand [31:08]
- Important clauses that many venue owners overlook [34:50]
- Cancellation, termination, and military clauses [43:30]
- Fire pits, number of walk throughs, clean up rules, and other super specific items [49:00]
- Using electronic signatures on contracts [53:28]
- Who should sign your contract? [55:40]
ABOUT OUR GUEST
Paige Hulse is an attorney and business owner based in Oklahoma who focuses on bridging the gap between the creative and legal worlds. After working as a contract litigator by day and practicing calligraphy by night, she followed in the footsteps of her entrepreneurial family and now merges the two together. To help make the law more accessible for creatives, she practices with Paige Hulse Law and also runs the Creative Law Shop with a variety of resources for all types of creative professionals.
BE A FRIEND
Leave an iTunes review here.
BE A GUEST
Are you passionate about sharing your knowledge about running a wedding venue? Know someone who is? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know why you’d be a great person interview!
Find full show notes from this episode here.
The Aisle Files Podcast is created and produced by Kelly Ewell, owner of 48 Fields Farm.