Today’s podcast is a fun one because my guest and I really take on two very different topics, but they all evolve out of her experience in the wedding industry. You’ll not only hear what it’s like to be an employee of several different styles of wedding venues, but also all about how putting a focus on public relations can help grow your business – even with small steps to begin. Who better to cover both of these than Meghan Ely?
In this episode, you’ll hear about:
- Meet Meghan and hear her story
- What were the consistent practices from her work at different venues
- How the level of venue service changed from working at a non-profit vs a 5-diamond property
- Ways that venues can raise their level of service
- Best practices for running a wedding venue
- How Meghan transitioned from venues to the world of PR
- How PR efforts can benefit your wedding venue business
- Easiest and low-hanging-fruit ways to get started with PR
- Ways to work in partnership with photographers for PR submissions
- Resources to know when you are featured in the press
- What do publications want to see (and not want to see)
- Knowing what publications are ideal for your wedding venue
- Local or national PR – what’s better?
- Recent media changes to be aware of
- Best advice for getting more publicity
RESOURCES WE MENTION:
OFD Consulting – use code AISLEFILES to save $20
SCORE – business mentoring and resources
Kristin Binford Venue Consultant – new venue owners’ Facebook group and Masterclass
EventStable – save $100 on your order
The Venue Owner Shop – use code FIRSTORDER to save 15% on your first order
The Contract Law Shop – use code KELLYEWELL10 to save 10%
ABOUT OUR GUEST:
Meghan Ely is the owner of OFD Consulting, where she combines in-the-trenches event experience with a love of wedding PR. She is a WeddingWire Education Expert as well as a regular contributor to Wedding Planner Magazine, Wedding Business Magazine, Catersource, and SpecialEvents.com. Meghan represents clients globally and has earned them coverage with the New York Times, Entrepreneur, Brides, Bridal Guide, The Knot, Martha Stewart Weddings, the Travel Channel, HGTV, Brit & Co, and Refinery 29, among others. But before all that, Meghan got her start working at wedding venues. From a location with limited resources to a 5-diamond property, she’ll share what it was like to be a venue employee.
BE A FRIEND:
Leave an iTunes review here.
BE A GUEST:
Are you passionate about sharing your knowledge about running a wedding venue? Know someone who is? Email us at email@example.com to let us know why you’d be a great person interview!
Find full show notes from this episode here.
The Aisle Files Podcast is created and produced by Kelly Ewell, owner of 48 Fields Farm.